Basic Animal Care
From snuggling to cleaning, help is always needed in our kennels! Daily needs include, but certainly are not limited too:
- Socializing/Individual Time with the Cats and Dogs
- Enrichment Activities
- Cleaning Kennels and Living Areas
- Potty Breaks (Dogs) and Scooping Litter (Cats)
- Taking Photos
- Exploring our wooded Trails (Dogs)
Play Groups- Dogs Playing for Life!
Dogs have a natural desire to play. We try to allow the dog to express this as much as possible. Not only is it fun for them, but it is beneficial too! Play groups allow dogs to:
- Burn Off Stress and Energy
- Appear More Calm and Relaxed in their Kennels
- Learn Critical Dog-to-Dog Social Skills
- Become Happier, Healthier, Well-Adjusted Dogs
It's a lot of fun for volunteers, and also serves as a tool to help us better match dogs with their forever families!
Muskegon Humane Society's regularly scheduled adoption events are:
- PetSmart (Sherman Blvd., Muskegon) - 1st Saturday of the Month
- Chow Hound (Beacon Blvd., Grand Haven) - 2nd Saturday of the Month
- PetSmart (Sherman Blvd., Muskegon) - 3rd Saturday of the Month
- Pet Supplies Plus (12579 Felch St, Holland,) - 4th Saturday of the Month
During adoption events volunteers allow people to meet with animals and provide them with information about the shelter. We are actively looking to expand our event team!
Explore the Open Paw program with our training team and learn how you can help the dogs in our care be successful in their new homes! Teach them skills such as:
- Basic Manners
- Increasing Confidence
- Conditioning to a Home-Like Environment
Join one of our committees! We are always looking for fun, creative ideas to improve our shelter. Committees currently include:
- Fundraising Committee
Contact us Alexis for meeting times and dates.
Calling All Girl Scouts!
Earn your Brownie Pet badge at the Muskegon Humane Society! Get a tour of the facility and learn all about how they care for their temporary residents while working to find them their FUR-ever home. Girls will also receive a custom MHS Fun patch!
Want the humane society to come to you? Ask about their outreach program when booking your troop event!
Contact us Alexis for questions and registration!